Marine Corps Leadership and Daily Management

22 comments

Daily Management and  USMC Leadership

When I was in the U.S. Marine Corps, the term “leadership” was taught, explained, and demonstrated almost every minute of the day. I found that the biggest and most important difference between a manager and a leader is the way they motivate people who work for them, or follow them. I find that the traits associated with management and leadership can be very similar but they are definitely not transferable. In our daily routine, there is a need for both types of individuals and many of you have developed both styles in your personal and professional life.

It has been my experience that if you are a manager you normally have subordinates. These are individuals who have been assigned to your charge by higher authorities within a corporate structure. Managers hold positions of authority that have been given to them by upper level administrators and are assigned a multitude of tasks to accomplish for the betterment of the organization.

Management of the daily routine is a very important function, especially in today’s troubled corporate environment. And let me add, not everyone can be an effective manager. It takes training; perhaps vocational, on-the-job or academic instruction. It also takes a ton of organizational skills, patience, self-confidence, and the ability to efficiently function under some extremely high pressure deadlines. Managers usually are not big risk takers and that’s perfectly alright because the company has tasked them (and their subordinates) with the successful completion of a task for the benefit of the company – nothing more, nothing less. That’s what a manager gets paid to do.

Leaders, on the other hand, normally don’t have subordinates but leaders always have followers. People only follow someone because they want to, not because they are asked or forced to do so. Many corporate leaders have subordinates, but that’s only because they are also managers within the organization. But when these individuals feel the need to lead, they must give up their formal corporate managerial authority, because to lead is to have followers, and following is always a voluntary action – there are no exceptions.

There are all kinds of leaders; some are animated and energetic while some are more reserved. Some people seem to be born to lead while others learn how to lead. Some are charismatic while others are extremely humble but whatever the style; there is always a magnetic appeal to whatever the leader does or asks others to do. Leaders will never ask anyone to do something that they won’t do right along with their team. And although leaders aren’t thrill seekers, willing to do anything to get the job done; they are calculated risk takers and not afraid to do something out of the ordinary in order to successfully complete an assigned task.

Like I said at the beginning, most of us have a touch of both – managerial and leadership traits – within us. This allows us to be organizers when necessary and adapt to changing situations, when required to do so. I have heard a simple explanation concerning the difference between management and leadership style that says “managers do things right, leaders do the right things.”  I believe what this means is that managers are centered on the process of accomplishing tasks while leaders are more visionary and imaginative.  I guess that may be true, but I also believe there are many other factors that must be discussed when we consider the value of each role.

If a company is going to surpass its competitors by becoming more productive and innovative, the proper individuals must be assigned within the leadership and the management makeup of the company.  Both of these functions are important and I think we sometimes give too much credit to the star corporate executive rather than realizing that both the internal leader and his or her management staff/team are needed to assure the ultimate success of a company’s business plan.

A news story on the New Marine Corps Tattoo Policy, produced for Marines TV Pendleton, a monthly newsmagazine broadcasting out of Camp Pendleton, CA.
Video Rating: 4 / 5

VN:F [1.7.0_948]
Rating: 10.0/10 (2 votes cast)
VN:F [1.7.0_948]
Rating: -1 (from 1 vote)
  1. sharpyshotz says:

This is some bullshit I got a tatto of a big cross on my back and they said I cannot join cause it covers 1/3rd of my back….THATS SOME FUCKING BULLSHIT.I wanted to be a marine for the rest of my life and now this shit…..I thaught it just couldnt be visable in the USMC training uniform…

2. Mjbabycakes7072 says:

@Mrelleryandalex

NO larger than area of your forefinger touching your thumb. Not fully visible in standard training garb.

3. DeadHandsTyler says:

@UFCextra A USMC tattoo will symbolize my love and my ability to protect and serve my country for the constitution and the citizens of America.

4. stud2me4u says:

> FOOD FOR THOUGHT > WHAT IF THE us.govt. COULD PUT THE AIDS VIRUS IN THE TATTOO INK LIKE THEY DID WITH THE SMALL POX VIRUS THEY PUT IN THE BLANKETS THEY GAVE TO THE INDIANS > THERE IS OVER 6 BILLION PEOPLE ON EARTH AS OF 2010 AND THE WISE KNOW THAT THEY HAVE TO GET RID OF 2 BILLION PEOPLE THEY CALL ” USELESS EATERS ” # 1 IS SENIORS # 2 IS BLACK PEOPLE # 3 MEXICANS # 4 POOR WHITES > IT’S TIME THAT WE WAKE UP AND DO SOME THINKING > PEACE B 2 U <

5. FrankDeSonia11B says:

@UFCextra Marines are fake? You know Tattoos have been around for Thousands of years! And you say you’ll be a Marine one day, well lets see your opinion on getting a tattoo after you graduate MCRD with all your buddies. In the military, tattoos are normal dude.

6. niettevragen says:

Lets say you are black or jew and you are pulled by a white police oficer who has a Swastica tattoo… or if you are a homosexual and the officer has a (Death to homos) tattoo… or if you are a woman and the officer has a tattoo with (Women needs to be raped) tattoo…or if you are christian and officer has a (Death to infidels tattoo)… or if officer has pikachu tattoo…or your lawyer has a mickymouse tattoo…or doctor has marijuana tattoo… get my point ?

7. elsope1 says:

I still got one after this shit happened. 29 palms sleeves down year round

8. TheSnowman1901 says:

The Marine Corps should let anyone in the Marines wear tattoos if they want to, but if the tattoo is like the video said “Racist, Sexist, or offensive” it should be banned, but other than that it should be allowed! The Marines are giving their lives to make it possible to people to even express their thoughts on this issue so why don’t we return the favor of the Marines fighting for our freedom and let them wear tattoos!!!

9. tetsuoswrath says:

Isn’t the regulation so a Marine has no identifiable marks on his or her body? Isn’t that a good thing?

10. jay2ggod says:

thhis guideline is bullshit they dnt judge u by ur race color of skin but they judge u if u have tatoos thank god im army there tattoo polcy aint as stric

11. BigosCar510 says:

dis sucks,can i get a tat on my back or my chest?

12. burtonglobe says:

Marines cant have tattoos? wtf lol they might aswell go n recruit Mormons from Utah you wont find any ink of them….fuck this policy

13. burtonglobe says:

This new tattoo policy is very much ANTI MARINE if you think about it

14. bobby123greenhalgh says:

Ugh who hired the 7 year old to narrarate this video? It’s such a piss off

15. Mrelleryandalex says:

can they have them on there backs?

16. TheDirtyMongGoose says:

@88prerunner88 nah as long as they cant see it when ur wearing pt shorts or shirt its fine

17. harpbass4life says:

@corvettegeorge79 ‘Rah, and I agree with the fact that one should not put a big target on himself with tattoos, but having anything under pt gear to me sounds more fair. I have three myself, and don’t plan on getting more, but they can’t be seen when i wear a t-shirt. I personally can’t stand it when I see a younger Marine such as myself with bullshit sleeves. When you wrote your message, did you mean any ink at all or just that see-able shit?

18. camir21 says:

hate politics but the president doesn’t micro manage that far down. thats marine corp b.s. in its glory. the army still allows sleeves. just saying

19. 2afrosamurai says:

@corvettegeorge79
    grunts?

20. sksman71 says:

@teufelhunden5811 I would agree with not having tatts on the face,neck or on your skull but the rest is cool.The Marines are best.Hopefully the Marine Corp wont be turned in to a bunch of politically correct pussies like the Army.

21. inSaneMHU says:

Dude was that SSgt Lee? I remember he had a Frankenstein tattoo on his left arm

22. DarkMonkArt says:

Sooooo important for protecting our Country.